The Eastern Comfort Hostel Boat in Berlin is often ranked as one of Berlin’s’ top hostels. Not only is the Eastern Comfort quirky, being a boat, it’s in a great location! Located between two of Berlin’s busiest districts, Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain, you can easily party or see the sights! Floating on the River Spree, right by the Oberbaum Bridge and the East Side Gallery (the longest remain of the Berlin wall) you can see a piece of history just a few steps away from your door!
The History Of The Boat
The ship was originally named ‘Frederick The Great’ and was built in 1991 for the ‘White Fleet Potsdam’. The plan was for this ship, along with three other identical sections and a push boat, to travel the rivers of Europe. However, this never happened, instead the ship became a permanent hotel in Potsdam. Later the ship was sold to a new owner on the German Coast.
The ship was given a new name ‘Rüstringer Friese’ and was used as a hotel and restaurant during the EXPO 2000. During this time the upper deck was built.
Unfortunately, the owner of the ship went bankrupt and it lay empty for three years. After long negotiations, a new owner was found and the ship was brought to Berlin.
In 2005 the Eastern Comfort opened and welcomed travellers! The ship’s hull is made from 8mm steel. The ship has a pontoon-formed body and lacks its own engine. The hostel boat has it’s own fresh water and sewage water tanks, fire pumps, hydraulic doors and sewage plant.
The name ‘Eastern Comfort’ is a tribute to the East Side Gallery nearby and ‘Comfort’ implies you will have a comfortable stay (as well as being a popular alcohol brand).
The Eastern Comfort has become so popular that the ‘Western Comfort’ has also been added and is moored next door. The Western Comfort is rooms only, all the common areas and reception are on the Eastern Comfort.
The Eastern Comfort Hostel Boat
The Eastern Comfort does not lack in facilities! There’s lots on offer. Whether you stay in the Eastern Comfort or the Western Comfort, the same facilities are available. The hostel also has a good environmental claim.
All the communal areas are on the Eastern Comfort. The Western Comfort only has dorm rooms with shared facilities, whilst the Eastern Comfort has a range of rooms and private rooms are en suite.
Bedrooms (Or Cabins)
The bedrooms come in a variety of ‘class cabins’. The higher the class, the more private you get, or why not camp out on the deck?
- Western Comfort
- 1st Class – Double or single bed cabin with a large window, built in wardrobe and an en suite. Linen and towels included.
- 2nd Class – Single, double, triple or quad cabins with two portholes, built in wardrobe and an en suite. Linen and towels included.
- 3rd Class – 5 bed dorms with large windows and lockers. Shared facilities and linen and towels are NOT included.
- Camping – on the deck, summer months only. Tents are available or bring your own.
- Eastern Comfort
- 2nd Class – Double bed and three bed cabins with large windows and shared facilities. Towels and linen are NOT included.
All communal areas are located on the Eastern Comfort.
- Common Area – The reception is in the bow of the ship and the common area in the stern. Here you will find a TV, internet access and a phone.
- The Lounge – Whether you are buying food and drink or not, you are able to relax here. The upper deck lounge and cafe is a great place to watch the sunset after a long day sight-seeing. You can purchase drinks (such as German beers) and snacks. There’s also events such as boat parties!
The Eastern Comfort has a wide range of facilities including freebies and items available to buy or rent.
- Friendly and helpful crew;
- No curfew (24 hour door code);
- Reception 08.00 – 24.00;
- Boat shuttle;
- City maps and magazine;
- Central heating and fireplace;
- Boat mooring.
- Internet (on the hostel’s computer);
- ‘All you can eat’ breakfast;
- Laundry service;
- Early checkin/late checkout;
- Daytime cabins.
How does the Eastern Comfort get power? What does the hostel do with waste? The hostel is as environmentally friendly as possible!
Water – Heated by solar panels.
Light – LED light bulbs.
Heat – Generated by pumps through terrestrial heat.
Electricity – Provided by solar panels.
Transport – Errands and shopping for the hostel is done using an electric car and bicycle.
Green – A plant island has been built for mating birds and to add some greenery in the ‘Urban Jungle’.
You Can Help Too – Use water sparingly and turn off the lights when you leave a room.
If you want a quirky, fun hostel the Eastern Comfort Hostel Boat is the place for you! It’s often ranked as one of Berlin’s’ best hostels and it’s no wonder why! A range of facilities and a great location added on to the fact that it’s a boat and has a bar makes the Eastern Comfort a popular choice!
Want to stay? Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor.